Insinuator

Some outright rants from a bunch of infosec practitioners.

Oct/13

pytacle – alpha2

Its been a long time, since i released the last version of pytacle, but now the time has come. Here is alpha2 with some new features:

- Support of RTLSDR sticks
- Possibility to scan for cells around you
- Changed the code to generate real KCs (but as nobody noticed the wrong KCs i guess you were good with the others ;)

Im also planning to address hopping channels in the future, but ive not made it far enough in my DSP lecture, yet ;)

Find the new version here.
Also see this post for requirements.

cheers

/daniel

RSS Feed

16 Comments for pytacle – alpha2

katrina | November 27, 2013 at 10:13 am

Hello Daniel!

This is amazing! Thank you very much for your work! Regarding hopping channels, take a look at this: http://yo3iiu.ro/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Evaluating_GSM_hopping_V1.1.pdf

Best wishes and regards!

katrina | November 27, 2013 at 10:16 am

Hello Daniel!

@domi007 pointed this PDF out to me, so I’m sending it to you, if you didn’t find it already.

Best wishes and regards!

dsound | December 5, 2013 at 6:03 pm

So just to be clear, to get this working all you need is GnuRadio, Airprobe and Kraken with 2TB tables? No Wireshark?

Author comment by Daniel Mende | December 5, 2013 at 6:14 pm

thats right, no wireshark is needed. thats what the tool is all about, eliminate the need to search the beacons in wireshark by hand.

cheers

/daniel

dsound | December 8, 2013 at 12:49 am

Sorry I am a rather new Linux user. When I try to run ./pytacle.py it says PERMISSION DENIED. Any ideas?

therat | December 8, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Anyone has an odea how can i fix this error in python?

Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py”, line 552, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py”, line 505, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File “pytacle.py”, line 717, in scan
cmd = [self.utils["python"], self.utils["gsm_receive_rtl"], “-f”, str(freq), “-k”, “\”00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00\”", “-o”, outfile]
KeyError: ‘python’

brainslayer | December 8, 2013 at 3:04 pm

@dsound Try sudo su be root.

My question is which gnuradio version and which distro are u using?
Best regards

app = pytacle()
File “./pytacle.py”, line 171, in __init__
self.update_utils(self.utils)
File “./pytacle.py”, line 291, in update_utils
self.gsm_receive_usrp_entry.set_text(utils["gsm_receive_usrp"])
KeyError: ‘gsm_receive_usrp’

My usrp 1 usb + uhd drivers ……………..

Whats is problem ?

dsound | December 9, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I am able to get the app running fine with python ./pytacle.py

but how do I set the directories in ‘properties’?

I get this error:

File ‘gsm-receiver/src/python’ not found
File ‘gsm-receiver/src/python’ not found
File ‘gsm-receiver/src/python’ not found
File ” not found
File ‘kraken/Utilities’ not found
File ‘gsm-1.0-pl13/src’ not found

dsound | December 9, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Also, I seem to be missing the ‘gsmframecoder’

and not the ‘find_kc’ file is under Utilities as a .cpp file (C ++). Did I install Kraken correctly?

Thanks for your great work!

Author comment by Daniel Mende | December 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm

If you have any problems running the tool, please contact me directly at dmende@ernw.de, the comments shouldn’t act as support a forum ;)

cheers

/daniel

bidouiller.fr | January 31, 2014 at 7:25 pm

thank you for this amazing tool.

there is t he way out the scan tool and make software to share?

dsound | March 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I was wondering if this was every updated. I have everything set up in Kali Linux but when I start receiving GSM, Pytacle doesn’t pick up on it (no bytes received) like the video demonstration. I have all the correct paths set too.

dario | July 12, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Hi

I am problem to work pytacle2 for urp1 usb.

linux; GNU C++ version 4.7.2; Boost_104900; UHD_003.005.002-47-g4a860d74

– Opening a USRP1 device…
– Using FPGA clock rate of 64.000000MHz…
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/usrp/airprobe/gsm-receiver/src/python/gsm_receive_usrp.py”, line 130, in
main()
File “/home/usrp/airprobe/gsm-receiver/src/python/gsm_receive_usrp.py”, line 125, in main
gsm_receiver_first_blood().run()
File “/home/usrp/airprobe/gsm-receiver/src/python/gsm_receive_usrp.py”, line 44, in __init__
self.source = self._set_source()
File “/home/usrp/airprobe/gsm-receiver/src/python/gsm_receive_usrp.py”, line 62, in _set_source
self.usrp.set_gain(self.options.gain)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/uhd/uhd_swig.py”, line 1921, in set_gain
return _uhd_swig.uhd_usrp_source_sptr_set_gain(self, *args)
NotImplementedError: Wrong number or type of arguments for overloaded function ‘uhd_usrp_source_sptr_set_gain’.
Possible C/C++ prototypes are:
uhd_usrp_source::set_gain(double,size_t)
uhd_usrp_source::set_gain(double,std::string const &,size_t)

Moh'd | September 18, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I have the same “dsound” problem, Pytacle doesn’t pick up on it (no bytes received) like the video demonstration. I have all the correct paths set too. i think it only works perfect with USRP.

Leave a comment!